Thursday, August 22, 2013

Endless by Jessica Shirvington

  "Even the greatest bringers of justice will only find salvation in surrender."

We got a recommendation for The Ghost and the Goth, but we couldn't find it, sorry!
Instead, we decided to do "Endless," by Jessica Shirvington. It's the fourth book in the Violet Eden Chapters, for those of you who've never heard of the series. Please note that this review may contain some spoilers for those of you who haven't read the past books. Violet Eden is a Grigori, part angel and part human. She's juggling a billion different things due to plot twists in the previous books.

Cover: The cover was a picture of Violet so I can't really judge that. It looks pleasant.

On to the characters, would it be bad if I said my favorite character was Phoenix? Because honestly, he's one of the best written character I've ever read. He wasn't a flat cardboard image with one side. He had reasons for being the way he was and an actual character that had different faces to it. I've always really liked him, but after reading this  book, I absolutely love him. Violet toughened out a lot in this one, too. In the first book, I didn't like her all that much, but she shows depth and strength in this one, as well as an understanding most YA female leads don't have: 'Nothing is endless.' As for Lincoln - I've never really liked Lincoln. He's an okay person, but I can't really tell anything about him. All I know is that Violet loves him, but why? I can't help but think that was only because of their - I don't want to spoil anything - connection. He wasn't a well-written character. I liked Spence a lot, although he wasn't original. Griff, Steph, Salvatore, and Zoe, were all the supporting characters and they were written well too, if not amazing. Phoenix, Lincoln, and Violet mostly pulled the story, though. The other characters weren't as much involved in this one. And the plot was good, but I think this story mostly revolved around the characters.

The ending was amazing. I loved it! I'm sure a lot of people will be unsatisfied with it, but it was original and had a sense of finality and I'm afraid it's going to be undone and all those unsatisfied people.


Now just give me a second to say, Oh, Phoenix. Why?

So for those of you who gave up on the third book because it was unoriginal and rather boring, push on! You will be rewarded! And for those of you who've never read the series, read it. You'll be rewarded, too, I promise. There is a reason this book was given a 4.7 star rating on Goodreads, people. It's by far the best book of the series.

So, while the plot was unremarkable and the setting wasn't anything special, this is a story about the characters and for that, we'll round it up.

  3.5 stars-we recommend this to fans of Supernatural and YA fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment