Monday, November 11, 2013

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Hey, guys! A lot of long-awaited last books have come out, and we have been greedily devouring them all while trying to forget that there are things we desperately have to be doing. (We've realized we might need an intervention.) So, today's review is for "Allegiant," by Veronica Roth, last book in the Divergent trilogy.

Cover: the colors are impressive, and this time, the symbol on the cover isn't a faction symbol. I wasn't sure what it was until I started reading, but it makes sense now. I approve of this one's motto: "One choice will define you." The word "will" instead of "can" portrays a sense of finality that this book definitely provided.

Characters: I'm sorry to say, the characters didn't have the same effect on me as usual. Four, especially, seemed completely different in this one. He mistrusted Tris, succumbed to his fear (the one thing the old Four absolutely refused to do, one of the main things that defined him), and he made mistakes the Four we knew never would have done. As for Tris, thankfully, she was her typical self. She grew even more in this book, and stayed true to herself until the very end. We get to see Caleb in a slightly different light, although I can't say I like him. What happened to some of the characters was heartbreaking, whether alive or dead. Unfortunately, even while I was reading, I found myself dearly missing Divergent.

The plot: I'm not sure why the plot progressed the way it did. It wasn't terrible, and it made some sense because they were now both inside and outside of the faction city, but having two plots run parallel and then solve one in the middle and the other towards the end just didn't have the unity that the first two books had, especially the first one.

The ending: I can see what Roth hoped to accomplish by this, but it was completely unnecessary and deserves an entire star deduction for it. It shouldn't have happened. There are circumstances when this would have made a book stunning, but this is definitely not one of them.

Overall, I can't believe I'm saying this, but this book was a disappointment. I can't bring myself to give it a high rate, because of how much more I have come to expect from this series, but I can't bring myself to give it no stars, because I loved Divergent. Letting a series I love go is usually painful, because I can't come to terms with the fact that I won't ever see these characters in the future again. This time, it was painful because it disappointed me, and I can't put the series as a whole on the altar I thought it would deserve. It was really disappointing. :(

1.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment