Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Today, we have decided to review Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout. When I read the first book in the Covenant series, I (like many other people, including Gabriel) thought that it was Vampire Academy with a Greek Dimitri, Caleb as Mason, and Alex as Rose Hathaway. Then I read the second book and realized that J.L.A. is actually kind of a genius. 
Sentinel (Covenant, #5)Even though the characters are, quote, "The bomb.com,"  Alex being the snarky badass that everyone loves, Aiden is sufficiently swoon-worthy, and Marcus being the icy at first but then loving uncle, the characters are not what make me fall in love with the series. The other minor characters are just as great. Caleb is all one could hope for in a friend and everyone loves to hate Lea.

I really do love the fact that she has GREEK mythology and characters which caused me to love the book even more. Arya, on the other hand, thinks the "heroes and heroines fight demons" part of the Greek mythology is unoriginal but she easily forgives J.L.A.

What I think makes J.L.A. so good is her writing. Her writing style flows smoothly, and the pacing, dialogue, and thought fall into place perfectly and effortlessly. That's a rare quality in a book, and when I see it, I don't take it lightly. Also, J.L.A.'s quirky quips and humor makes this book lovable. J.L.A. has a way of making the words come to life and I had a beautiful picture of what was going most, if not all of the times I was reading. Oddly enough, I had a better connection with Aiden St. Delphi than the main character, Alex. I believe that Aiden's character was well thought out and planned and you can see that. (My little sis apparently connects to Aiden's dorkiness. - Ari)

I loved this series a little more than Arya did. However, Arya thinks this series isn't one that she will read when she is fifty years old, but is still a lot better than some of the stuff they publish these days, 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment